The topic is just what it says it is: I'm looking for soundboarding as I prep for the first game (a one-shot with a possibility of being a spin-off game). Right now I have unknown player characters (limiting them to the pregens in Breakout and allowing the use of Thor, which helps a bit), numbered between 3-5.
My storyline might need a bit of work, but I figured if I can't tweak it in time, someone else might want to run with it.
Being a fan of the old X-Men cartoon in the 90's, I wanted to bring back my old favourite targets: The Sentinels. Currently, I'm thinking of having a sudden "outbreak" of various sentinel models (and the piloted ones going haywire), attacking SHIELD bases and citizen locations, with the goal of targeting any "threat" (i.e. superhumans).
I'm currently looking at dropping the party in media res; they'll be mopping up a group of Hydra forces/random Super Gang when they get the call or witness an event.
Scene breakdown from there is as follows:
1) Escape. Action Scene; heroes are trying to remove themselves from the city location and to the nearest SHIELD base. Distinctions list currently includes: RESTRAINED VILLAINS, RUBBLE-STREWN, PANICKED CIVILIANS and UNFRIENDLY SKIES. Opposition will include Sentinels.
The scene ends when they outmaneuver or outgun any sentinels they encounter and the group attacking the base.
2) Haven. Transition Scene; This will give the players a chance to swap to another hero (someone already within the base), recover, and get up to speed.
They'll be informed that the Sentinels came out of nowhere; most of them are older models, and it is assumed someone activated an unknown Master Mold.
I'll give the party a chance to come up with their own ideas; if not, they'll be given orders to go out and "recover" a Sentinel.
3) Acquisition. Action Scene; Pretty much repeat the first scene until they read a squad of SHIELD troops that have somehow taken down a sentinel without utterly destroying it. They need to pull out a part that will give them everything they need, but they need cover to do it. A Tech Savvy hero can offer to work in the group, but this will reduce their firepower.
(Tempted to have a mini-transition here just to give them an opportunity to recover powers, get equipment Assets or troop Resources)
4) Return. Action; Once the object is acquired, they'll need to get it back. A chopper tried to come in but it is shot down by a human weapon, not a Sentinel. Cue Dramatic Pause!
Now run! Give the party a chance to do things their way; they can either fly it out themselves, commandeer a vehicle (and shoot down anything chasing them), call in another chopper, etc.
5) Analyze. Transition. Once it's hooked up and ready to go, the object shows that there is a Master Mold hooked up, creating, commanding, and overriding all other sentinels.
Contemplating having it at a secret SHIELD location (renegade SHIELD operatives) or being held by some other bigger group like Hydra, Hellfire Club, etc.
That is as far as I've gotten with designing the session, as it is a last minute one-shot to replace a regularly scheduled game (missing two players at a key moment but don't want to just cancel). Anyone have any suggestions as to how to expand it?
Milestones are also a bit of a challenge. Currently I have "I Know Where This is Going" (mostly for mutants; 1 XP when you witness horrors from recent history, 3 XP when you confront and defeat that horror, 10 XP when you find the cause and put a stop to it once and for all).
I'm wondering if there is anything else to add with how straight and to the point this one is.
Any opinions and input would be greatly appreciated!